again to all.
It is undeniably the silly season in the Northern
hemisphere. Where better to find a degree of silliness than
when bishops gather?
We've found much wonderfulness in the various
resolutions of Lambeth Conferences past and have plucked
20 of our favourites for a quiz. (It was hard to limit ourselves
to just 20, but we're a disciplined crew.) See if you can
guess the general drift of each resolution based on the clues.
Ready? Steady? Go!
What is the principal bond of union among all our Churches? Answer
Churches should behave in what way towards 'the duly certified
action of every national or particular Church, and each ecclesiastical
province in the exercise of its own discipline'? Answer
What food was described as unwarranted by Our Lord and
an unauthorised departure from the custom of the Catholic
4. In a divorce for fornication or adultery, how was the
'guilty party' to be regarded during the lifetime of the
innocent party? Answer
5. What was the attitude towards polygamists? Answer
6. What habit was 'most strongly deprecated'? Answer
7. What was advised against strongly with regard to the Book
of Common Prayer? Answer
8. What proclamation was made about the 39 articles? Answer
What course was recommended with respect to Lambeth resolutions? Answer
10. What should be 'vigorously corrected' with regard to
Hinduism and Buddhism? Answer
11. How were finances and the episcopate connected with regard
to 'native Churches'? Answer
12. What affected 'the acceptance of Christianity by heathen
tribes on the West Coast of Africa'? Answer
How did the Conference view 'purely secular systems of
14. With regard to race relations, what did the Conference
see as 'inconsistent' with the 'principle of unity'? Answer
15. As long as they were 'free from all heathen and idolatrous
taint' and lifelong, what could national and local churches
16. What issue was
brought up once again in 1908, having been the subject of
attention at several previous Lambeth Conferences? Answer
What was thought to be appropriate teaching for the sick
by the clergy? Answer
18. With regard to the sick, what did the Conference not recommend
What were 'all right-thinking and clean-living men and women
called upon to do with regard to marriage and the growing
prevalence of disregard towards it? Answer
'When an innocent person has, by means of a court of law,
divorced a spouse for adultery, and desires to enter into
another contract of marriage', what was undesirable? Answer
how did you do?
must be a bishop!
must be musing about what it would be like to
be a bishop.
yourself for knowing a surprising amount about
the way bishops think.
should think about attending the next Lambeth
Conference, to take notes.
are to be congratulated for gamely trying.
See you next week.